About the Job
Would you like to join a global publishing organization, which provides international research to over 130 countries?
If you are interested in working within an organization whose clients include the world’s top business schools and worldwide universities then this may be the role for you!
The Publishing Editor is responsible for supporting a team of Publishers with day-to-day activities, across a number of portfolios.
The Publishing Editor may also be directly responsible for the strategic management and commercial development of a small assigned portfolio of products, responsible for expanding Emerald’s content position and network.
- Completion of routine administrative tasks, updating of internal databases, systems and product homepages.
- Assisting with portfolio development plans, contribution to cross-departmental projects and meetings, dealing with telephone calls & routine queries, compiling publishing reports and conducting market research where appropriate.
- Collating and uploading advanced title information for books on internal systems.
- Training new starters on systems and processes specific to the Publishing Editor role, where necessary.
- Communicate with editors, editorial board members and authors, as required. Attend conferences and industry events, where appropriate, to build and develop new contacts.
- Contribution to an internal communications strategy to ensure that all key departments are kept informed of departmental projects and activities.
- Develop and establish role as publishing contact within teams, across departments and where possible, global offices.
Portfolio management and quality control:
- Carry out portfolio management, through further development of existing business, defining and proposing new products. Identify promising market segments and product opportunities.
- Ensure the efficient day to day running of existing journals, in close cooperation with relevant internal staff e.g. Managing Editors.
- Active evaluation, replacement and budget management of existing journal/serial/book editors, with adjustment to editorial structures as required, as well as editorial boards.
- Undertake continuous quality control monitoring of all aspects of journal and serial functioning and actively address improvements where required.
Strategic choices, business plans and contribution to publishing budget:
- Determine and execute competitive and growth strategy; including article/volume quality and growth policy.
- Develop portfolio plan and projects for assigned area. Set up priorities within own portfolio, in conjunction with Head of Publishing.
- Formulate budget proposals and cost estimations.
- Propose segmentation / diversification / mergers / acquisitions / alliances at the product level.
Contracts and sources:
- Working with the Executive Publisher, negotiate contracts with authors, editors, information providers etc.
- Source management with respect to:
- relation management with subject community/authors/editorial boards/research conferences,
- acquisition of manuscripts and other content elements,
- Realization of commercial opportunities, such as supplements, bulk sales and conferences.
- Meet portfolio related objectives, with regards to article and chapter growth, citation share, revenue and profit, author and editor satisfaction.
- Account for the portfolio in terms of product performance and in terms of market related achievements.
Publishing Editor | Editor | Publishing | Editorial Publisher | Academic Publishing
– An understanding of the Academic publishing environment
– Publishing experience, marketing experience or work experience within a commercial environment
– Educated to degree level (BSc/BA), or equivalent
– Interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage and influence cross-functionally at all levels
– Desire to learn about subject communities and publishing practices, as part of personal/career development
– Actively seek opportunities to be involved in projects as part of personal/career development.
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills
– Organisational and Problem solving skills
– Self-starter, with high personal drive and motivation
– Ability to work under pressure and hit deadlines
– Ability to quickly establish credibility with external stakeholders
– Ability to work effectively with people at all levels
– A team player with the ability to work on own initiative
– Attention to detail with high integrity and honesty.
We are a global publisher, linking research and practice to the benefit of society. The company manages a portfolio of more than 290 journals and over 2,500 books and book series volumes, as well as providing an extensive range of online products and additional customer resources and services.