CMC Publications/Chattanooga, TN
CityScope Magazine in Chattanooga, Tennessee, is looking for an experienced, regionally-based freelance feature writer with a vibrant style and strong reporting skills.
This person will report directly to our editorial staff and have the opportunity to be assigned front-of-the-book features, which range from 1,200 to 2,400 words, and back-of-the-book departments, which range from 400 to 600 words.
The Ideal Writer Will Have:
• a bachelor's degree or higher in English or journalism (or equivalent experience in editing and writing content)
• experience writing features for newspapers or monthly magazines (or previous experience interning at a magazine or professional publication)
• the ability to write well-structured content that follow the 7 C's of communication (clear, concise, concrete, correct, coherent, complete, courteous)
• a thorough understanding of the editorial thrust of our magazine and the kinds of stories we do
• the ability to write content that fits the parameters of our assignments and the voice of our magazine
• a knack for telling engaging stories
• strong communication and interpersonal skills
• superior follow-up skills and a proven track record of staying on schedule and meeting deadlines
• a working knowledge of Chattanooga, including its arts scene, business landscape, outdoor culture, etc.
• familiarity with AP Style
We pay a fixed rate of 10 cents per word.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and three published writing clips. If you do not have published writing clips, e-mail Candice to ask about appropriate alternatives. You're most likely to impress us with writing that demonstrates how well you handle character, dramatic narrative, and factual analysis. We also admire inspired reporting and a clear, surprising style. No phone calls, please.